Saturday, July 14, 2012

Data collection day Tres Cocos

Today I am TIRED. We collected data at North Tres Cocos (not in the reserve). Our first snorkel lasted two hours. We swam north up the reef and took two counts. Our boat captain moved the boat down and met us down the reef. Part of the snorkel area was only about 3 feet deep so you have to do the "superman" pose so you wouldn't touch bottom. I did get one good scrape on my leg from some sharp coral. Wow, salt water makes scrapes burn! Second snorkel trip was to the Tres Cocos channel. The water was pretty thought to swim here. There was some ballast stones piled somewhere near this area, but I never really got a good look at them. This evening, we had a nice dinner at Captain Norman's restaurant downtown. The food was delicious!


 Data for today: French grunts - trial 1 (back reef) - 45 Trial 2. - 8 French grunts - trial 3 (channel). - 40 Trial 4 - 9 Extra notes: blue striped grunts sometimes open their mouths and look like they are trying to bite each other. I witnessed this today. Weird! Also, I have noticed Isopods on the faces of two French grunts so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment